Eeny Meeny Miny Moe…Which Holiday To Do List Items to Let Go!
- Rake all the leaves in the yard before it snows.
- Decorate the inside and outside of my home.
- Decorate the tree.
- Help my parents decorate their home.
- Buy super special gifts that are meaningful to each person on my list.
- Wrap all gifts in a fun and wonderful way.
- Send out Christmas cards with a lovely personalized note to each friend
- Bake dozens and dozens of a variety of cookies and truffles.
- Watch lots of fun Christmas movies with a cup of hot cocoa, snuggled up by the Christmas tree.
- Get a group together to go to The Nutcracker.
- Volunteer to help others in need.
- Invite friends over for a nice relaxing holiday dinner.
- Visit Longwood Gardens to see their holiday display.
- Go to Williamsburg to the Grand Illumination.
- Try out some yummy new recipes for Christmas Eve and Christmas dinners.
- Say yes to any fun invitation.
- Take time to breath and relax so the holidays will be enjoyable and stress free!
Well, if your list is anything like mine, you’ll probably agree with me when I say that each year I start with the hope of being Superwoman, and then come to the realization that I am still human, even during the holidays, and might just have to make some adjustments to my expectations of myself and the time I have to accomplish my list. Each year, I have to prioritize and make some choices about the things that matter the most, and give myself permission to let the other items on the list fall off, without guilt.
This process of making tough choices about what’s really important got me thinking ahead to the new year. I wondered what I have on my 2019 list that I should let go of, that does not serve me well any longer, or should be replaced by a goal with a more fulfilling outcome? I always get introspective as the year comes to a close, and start thinking about what the new year might hold. It can be very liberating to focus on a few key things that truly spark joy in your life!
So, this holiday, as I make my way through my long list of to do’s for the season, I’m going to remind myself to breathe, live in the present moment, and give myself permission to enjoy the holidays with friends and family without the expectation of doing everything on that list perfectly.
Happy Holidays, everyone! May your list be short, and your fun be overflowing! And, may you truly design a holiday season that brings you joy!
Today’s blog was written by WWR Partner Coach, Donna Kettell. Donna is a certified professional coach (CPC) and a master practitioner in energy leadership (ELI-MP). Her certifications were earned through The Institute for Professional Excellence in Coaching (iPEC), which is accredited by the International Coaching Federation (ICF).